Tiny Devotional for RED Friday, 10/30/2020

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to you, AND to any family members who have dropped by, I hope that you all have power and secure housing, 

Do not slander a slave to his master,
Or he will curse you and you will be found guilty.
Proverbs 30: 1, NASB



I love finding out I’m wrong; it means I have learned something, and likely have more to learn. I have always read this as “don’t slander a master to his slave,” but that ISN’T what the verse says.  

This verse demands respectful, courteous, perhaps even ethical treatment of slaves. Wait, WHAT?

Admittedly, my mental image of a slave culture derives from that transmitted by Hollywood and some written works of fiction. I rank that with my mental images of all the Whos down in Who-ville, in terms of reliability; Fah-hoo foris, y’all. 

Still: I find myself shaken, if not stirred, by a three-thousand year-old order forbidding malicious lies against slaves. I just opened a can of worms on myself, and I’m not going to sort them out this morning. Sticking to what I know:

There have been a few occasions when I have had someone slander me to my boss, all during my years working in education. 

(Yes, there were SOME legit complaints as well! Not addressed in this post!)

In every single case, the slanderer was, at least in this respect, demonstrably bug-house nuts.  I was always vindicated; it still felt sticky to be accused. 

Here’s a take-away:

If you encounter someone who complains constantly of the quality of service they receive, GET AWAY FROM THEM!  They are bug-house nuts, in violation of the proverb, and will be cursed and found guilty.

Peace be on your household.


Comments

  1. There was no Tiny Devotional yesterday; we were without power most of the day, thanks to Hurricane ΞΆ , which I wrote in lowercase because the uppercase just looks like Z. But, it's Zeta. Sixth letter of the Greek alphabet, but corresponds to the number 7. I will leave the proof as an exercise for the reader.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023