Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 10/31/2020

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, don’t neglect nap time.

Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31:9, NASB


So, why did I select a passage from the instructions to King Lemuel, and not from the paean to the Excellent Wife?

I’m tempted to say: “Nunya Bidness,” but that’s not true. As long as I am writing a Tiny Devotional, everything I say IS Yer Bidness. 

It’s not because I don’t understand the topic. I’m married to an Excellent Wife. As a little boy, growing up on a dirt road in Bibb County, GA, my caretakers were Excellent Wives. Excellent Wives taught me in Sunday School. I’m familiar with the concept.

It’s just that I think that any points I may make will be covered elsewhere today, and so I decided to look into King Lemuel a bit, and THAT!

And THAT exposed me to a new idea, and one that I need to contemplate. Specifically, was Paul speaking of ALL women, or ONE SPECIFIC WOMAN, in I Timothy 2:11-12 ? The article I read provides food for thought, and I haven’t even chewed it yet, much less digested it. In short, though, it is partly founded on words which are SINGULAR and words which are PLURAL, but goes beyond that.

Hmmm. Two impacts in a row; yesterday, about slavery; today, about patriarchy.

So, I took the easy way out, and went with a solid truth I can always depend on: defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Yup, and with that, we are good to go.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023