Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 11/08/2020

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And, to family members who have dropped by, do the next right thing; it works.

For my mouth will proclaim truth;
And wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
Proverbs 8:7 NASB


 A few times each month, I get asked to show my identification. Some of the medications I take are controlled substances, and that requires an ID. I’ve made a couple of bank trips recently; the receptionists at the doctors’ offices want a picture ID (along with my insurance card); I had to show ID when voting.

It doesn’t bother me. 

I still smile, remembering a cashier at a grocery store in Chapel Hill who TWICE asked to see my ID when I bought a bottle of wine there; I was 34 at the time.

It didn’t bother me! (I was a bit flattered, actually!)

Presenting ID doesn’t bother me, because I know I qualify. If I was concerned I might get caught, or refused, because I was trying to get away with something, THAT would bother me. But, since I know I’ve got the goods, sure: I’m happy to demonstrate who I am.

It occurs to me that almost all of Proverbs 8 is Wisdom, showing ID. “This is who I am,” says Wisdom. “This is why you can trust me!”

Don’t order General Tso’s Chicken at the Waffle House. 
Don’t buy meat from the back of a station wagon.  
Don’t play poker with a man named Doc. 
And don’t look for wisdom from a person with rotten credentials.  

“Stick with the winners.” How do you know they are winners? Check their ID, which is their life and their experience. If you want what they have: first, listen; then, do.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. That was a beaut. ❤️
    However I would eat general tso’s chicken from waffle house. I wish I was eating it right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023