Tiny Devotional for RED FRIDAY, 12-04-2020

 A great good RED FRIDAY morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Kenneth’s COVID results are NEGATIVE!

The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom;
And with all your possessions, acquire understanding.
Prize her, and she will exalt you;
She will honor you if you embrace her.
She will place on your head a garland of grace;
She will present you with a crown of beauty.”
Proverbs 4:7-9, NASB


The beginning of wisdom is NOT: “Tear down everything you think is old.”

This morning, I’m remembering with embarrassment a service at my home church (large, prosperous suburban). It was in 1971; I was college freshman.  
I had just discovered, through a brief tutoring experience obtained via a college class, that poor kids existed. And so, when one of the deacons requested an approval to carpet an area in the building, I objected: give the money to help poor kids! 
I objected rudely, and without really seeking an answer. I got a much more polite reception than I deserved. I departed in a self-righteous huff.

I wasn’t trying to acquire understanding with all my possessions; I was trying to take away THEIR possessions, so the thought of poor kids wouldn’t bother me.

I was not exalted; I was not honored. I received no crown. 

THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A CLUE!

Alas, the 18 year-old me knew NOTHING about the wisdom contained in Proverbs. I offer no excuses for that; only a solution.

Specifically: acquire wisdom. 

At age 67, I’m learning, and that’s good, but I could have also learned at age 6. I would not have fully comprehended at that age, but I might not have been such a pain at age 18. Maybe.


Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023