Tiny Devotional for Thursday, 12-10-2020

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, y’all want a sandwich?

The Lord will not allow the righteous to hunger,
But He will reject the craving of the wicked.
Proverbs 10:3, NASB

I had my first experience with the Living God when I was 16. For a while, without skill or guidance, I studied the Bible. 
After a fashion, that is:  Whenever I encountered a difficult passage, I would quickly turn away, thinking, “I’d better not think about this. It might prove the Bible is wrong.”
That’s an excellent way to cultivate doubts, and a lousy way to study the Bible. Eventually, I reverted to heathen ways for a while. 

 Now, I embrace difficulty: today’s Tiny Devotional verse is difficult.

WHAT PROVERBS 10:3 CAN’T MEAN: Righteous people will never want for food. 

There are 89 citations for “hunger” or “hungry” in the NASB, and some of them apply to the righteous; eight of them apply to Jesus. Others reference the disciples in general, and specifically Simon Peter and Paul. 

If we go to contemporary reports, I would hate to argue that none of the people living in current famine conditions are righteous.

WHAT PROVERBS 10:3 MIGHT MEAN: This is a command to us, not a statement of fact. 

My gift-from-God, happily-ever-after trophy wife Vanessa, the elegant, foxy, praying black grandmother of Woodstock, GA, commands the teenagers: “Clean up your rooms! I will not allow you to have a messy room!” And yet, I’ve just BEEN there, and:  Mess is.

Perhaps the Lord is commanding us to feed the hungry righteous.
Perhaps we match the teens in our compliance.
Something to think about.

WHAT PROVERBS 10:3 REALLY MEANS: I don’t know.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Peace be on yours. It says God won't allow the righteous to hunger, but it doesn't say when or by when.

    Maybe we will all be completed and glad we chose Him, when we know for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023