Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 02-10-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, we are OUT OF SALSA!

Ill-gotten gains do not benefit,
But righteousness rescues from death.
Proverbs 10:2, NASB


I’ve been trying to come up with a satisfactory definition for “ill-gotten gains.” I went so far as looking the verse up in Hebrew, which I can’t read, and then relying on Google Translate; I get “the treasures of wickedness.”

I propose that this refers not only to MONEY, but to any benefit derived from bad acts. As an example, I had a brief moment in which I thought, 
“Hey, just say you looked it up in Hebrew, without a disclaimer, and people will be impressed with your scholarship!”
That, I believe, would be an ill-gotten gain. Persons who can read a language other than their primary deserve respect for their study; if I intentionally gave the impression I could do that, I would be reaping the benefit, without putting in the work.

Note that the contrast provided is NOT between “ill-gotten gains” and “honest profit.” Instead, it’s between “no benefit” and “rescue from death;” outcomes, not behaviors. 
It’s a very practical approach. There is no attempt to persuade someone not to use unethical practices, because it’s mean to take advantage of others. Instead, the wisdom revealed is that if you are really driven by the bottom line, embrace righteousness. It has the best cost/benefit ratio.

Remember the shelves that began emptying of toilet paper (and other items) a year ago? NONE of the reputable vendors held product back, for sale at black market prices. Those individuals that hoarded, and offered tissue for $5/roll? Not around anymore, are they? 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023