Tiny Devotional for Thursday, 5-27-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by,  dealer’s choice for breakfast.

Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring.

Proverbs 27:1, NASB


I’m reasonably certain that I will see tomorrow, because I have air to breathe, I’m not ill, and the drums of war are quiet in my neighborhood. So, if I need to go to the grocery store, I’ll be buying a gallon of milk, and not a pint. If there are bills to pay, I’ll pay them. And, I’ll make sure that Kenneth and Alicia get off to school.

None of that is boasting about tomorrow; it’s just planning for tomorrow.  I’m making an investment that I believe will pay off; I’m engaging my environment, inviting it to join with me in accomplishing my goals. 

Boasting about tomorrow is throwing a victory celebration before playing the game. It issues a challenge that is both utterly unnecessary, and self-defeating. It aggravates and provokes the rest of the universe, and lets it know what it needs to do in order to knock you on your keester. Why do that?

Boasting also commits you to a particular course of action, one that may not turn out to be your best choice, or even a good one. True, life presents us with challenges, but those are also opportunities.  I was in the process of getting certified to teach biology (which I would not have liked), when the path to my final career as a school counselor (which I loved) opened up. 

Boasting about tomorrow implies a determined outcome, and no flexibility; it’s a rejection of blessings yet unrevealed.

All in all, not worth the hassle.

Peace be on your household.


Comments

  1. I was just thinking about something similar to this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023