Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 5-26-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Tortas Combinada from Tentaciones Heladeria.

A whip is for the horse, a bridle for the donkey,
And a rod for the back of fools.

Proverbs 26:3, NASB


This verse is about management, not punishment.

To the best of my recollection, I’ve never spent time in the company of a donkey, although I have met a mule. I’ve been on a horse as recently as 1972, but I certainly was not entrusted with a whip. And, while I have wished for one, and the authority to wield it, no fools ever felt a rod on their backs at my hand.

Not that they didn’t need it. Oh, my, they certainly did! Fledgling fools are just aggravating, but fools who have been placed in positions of authority can damage the morale and operation of an organization faster than a plague.

A well-run, motivated organization can handle just about any external challenge. It’s what they are designed for, after all, whether the challenge is to prevent Soviet tanks from rolling across the Fulda Gap, or to educate and socialize middle-school students. The formal structures that are in place are DESIGNED to accomplish the mission; soldiers and educators rely on those structures.

It’s the internal challenges, those that come from fools, that provide the greatest danger. That’s because the fool only understands things from their own perspective; that’s all that matters to them. 

Which raises this issue: 

Who is the bigger fool? The fool, or the fool who hires the fool?

It depends on what happens next. If the rod gets implemented, okay. If not? Disaster strikes.

Get involved; it matters. 


Peace be on your household.


Comments

  1. It takes one to know one so I can relate...with a little more grace. I am certain I have been a much bigger fool than I am now. Thank you, Father. To infinite and beyond.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023