Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 06-01-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Nutella on good bread.

To know wisdom and instruction,
To discern the sayings of understanding,

Proverbs 1:2, NASB

Sarah and her grandchildren ~1943

At the moment, it doesn’t seem like it, but if I were a betting man, I’d bet that much of the reason I’ve survived to this point, is because of the approach that this verse describes.

It was the approach taken by the adults in my life when I was a little boy. It was a proactive approach, designed first to keep me from accidental death, and next to turn me into a decent human being.

The lessons about sobriety, duty, and perseverance I learned much later, the hard way.  I use those lessons every single day, but, here’s the kicker:

How did I know that those were the right lessons?

It’s because Sarah,  Bill,  Bessie, Bebe, and Earnestine taught me to discern the sayings of understanding. They didn’t use fancy words, but they taught me that having a lick of sense was a real thing. They said:

“If you jump off the garage with a towel for a cape, you will break your neck.”

“Don’t bring home a dead rabbit.”

“Go out in the yard, and cut a switch.”

I learned honesty, respect, and love were the topics of sayings of understanding, and to wash my hands before I ate.  

I had to earn degrees to get employed, and I did learn something along the way. Still, I think the primary benefit I gave to my employers came from wisdom and instruction I received when I was three years old, and the vision of truth that gave me. 

Peace be on your household.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023