Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 07-03-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, lunch was bean soup.


So you will find favor and a good reputation* 
In the sight of God and man.
Proverbs 3:4, NASB

* Hebrew: understanding

So, do you have to know Hebrew and Greek in order to understand the Bible? 

Nope. I have ZERO Hebrew, and only a smattering of Greek, which is founded on a year of coursework in 1978-9. With few (notable) exceptions, I’ve gotten all my understanding of the message of the Bible from various English translations. 
I can’t speak to the accuracy of the translations into other languages, although the single chapter I’ve read in German, John 1, reads the same in German as it does in English.

There has been SOME value, for me, in a study of Greek. First, I discovered the word which we translate in English as “sin” means “to miss the mark;” it’s an archery term. I find that removes a significant emotional load from the term, and has theological implications. 

I also learned that the English word “baptism” is NOT a translation; it’s a transliteration of the Greek word, and it means “immersed.” 

That’s about it.

So, what is my theological reason for including the literal translation of “understanding” in the verse which NASB renders as “reputation?”

There isn’t one. 
I did that because the words of the song I learned are “Thou shall find good favor, and good understanding.” Therefore, I get a bit of a mental itch, when I hear it as “reputation.” 

It’s not theology; it’s just habit. 

Here’s the kicker: I think we are primarily creatures of habit, not theology. Therefore, develop good habits.  

Peace be on your household.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023