Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-25-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, cheese Danish (added cheese).


These also are proverbs of Solomon which the men of Hezekiah, king of Judah, transcribed.
Proverbs 25:1, NASB

Does that verse bless you? I doubt it.

I started with no plan for the Tiny Devotionals, other than selecting from the Proverb corresponding to the day of the month. I didn’t even record the verse(s) I used at first. 

I wanted the Wisdom to format me, not me format the Wisdom. I wanted the Bible text to drive my writing, not just hammer on my favorite verses repeatedly; so, I created a spreadsheet, recording which verses I used, so I wouldn’t repeat. 

Then, I got systematic in my approach; instead of just picking a verse that spoke to me, I decided I’d fill in the blanks. Thus, I started taking as my text the first verse in the Proverb for the Day not  previously covered. I look at the spreadsheet, see what’s missing, and choose that verse.

I wasn’t PLANNING to illustrate the difference between religion and true faith. HONEST!

However, for the past eight months, true holiness has been stomping on my complacency.  It started when I began reading Oneness Embraced, by Tony Evans; most recently, Uncle Mylon turned me on to Veggie Tales creator Phil Vischer’s podcast.  (WARNING: It is a podcast for the mature Christian; meat, not milk.) 
One truth rings out: avoid a form of godliness that denies its power.

Picking a verse, ONLY because doing so checks off a box on a spreadsheet, is an example of religious practice. It satisfies my useless desire for pseudo-completion, and feeds nobody. 

My spreadsheet is complete, though.


Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. I’ve noticed that Proverbs is about “avoiding” a lot; fools, jerks and bullies. I like that. I know personally that godliness without power is a worthless life. It bears fruit in due time. That fruit drove me to Jesus so it had it’s place but I missed the most important part.
    Relationship with the only one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023