Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 08-03-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, spam and egg sandwich.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6, NASB

 Thanks to Dr. Furaha Asani

This is one of the very first Bible quotes I memorized. Over the years, I’ve also had it reinforced by music (I’m singing along with Babbie Mason in my head right now). 

The translations vary slightly, but those variances don’t change the meaning; we are talking about “direct your path” vs “make your path straight.” If your translation says “abandon you in the bushes,” then I suggest you get a new Bible.

Has my path been straight? 

In one respect, only: the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Translate that from geometry to a philosophy of life, and you get:

Do the next right thing.

Perhaps there are some people who can fit all points of their life, from birth to death, on a straight line, but I doubt it. I certainly don’t know anyone like that. There are just too many factors that move us one way or another, distractions that keep us from implementing a planned-out life, free from conflict.

The ONLY straight path I can imagine is that which exists between two points. It’s my belief that we can always find that path, which is doing the next right thing. In fact, MOST of the time, it’s pretty obvious what the next right thing is.  Not always, but when it isn’t obvious, the answer usually comes with waiting, and listening.

And always trusting Him.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023