Tiny Devotional for Thursday, 10-21-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, thanks for encouraging me.

I'm better than you are.
Haughty eyes and a proud heart,
The lamp of the wicked, is sin.

Proverbs 21:4, NASB

This is one of the times when I regret not applying myself more fully to my language studies, because I’m not sure I get what this verse means to communicate. “The lamp of the wicked?”

When I encounter a difficult verse in NASB, I go to other translations to see if they are clearer. In the case of this verse, the NIV translates the second line as “the unplowed field of the wicked.” No help there.

The only Hebrew text I could easily access, translates as “The eye of the wicked and the open heart of the wicked is a sin offering.” Again, no help for me.

Jesus said the eye is the lamp of the body. That makes for a worthwhile study, but I’m going to stop RIGHT HERE. I think I get the main point of the proverb, which is: 

TO the wicked, and FROM the wicked; it’s all wickedness. 

Question: can good things result from bad actions? Yes, absolutely. That is not, however, a justification for bad actions. Don’t plant poison ivy and expect to get cashew nuts. 

In my very early adult Christian walk, this was a HARD concept for me to accept! I wanted to hold on to my music, and my rebellion. So, I would try to insert Christian messages into some pretty bizarre sources, like National Lampoon. 

It didn’t work then, and it won’t work now.  

So, when you encounter someone with haughty eyes, and a proud heart: 

DON’T follow them!  

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. I think you hit the gopher on the noggin. Lamps are used in darkness to show a way, and people follow the light of the lamp. So the wicked man's lamp is lighting the way of the sinful path, so DON'T FOLLOW THE LIGHT!!!!! Cuz there are probably badgers and cows and spiders down that way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023