Tiny Devotional for RED (and Black) Friday

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, cherry pie and Murdered Out coffee.

Like a thorn that sticks in the hand of a heavy drinker,
So is a proverb in the mouths of fools. 

Proverbs 26:9, NASB

Thorns? GLOVES!

As the cats say, I has confused.

What I THOUGHT this verse said was that a drunkard grabs a thorn, and goes around sticking people. And yes, that is rather like a fool who quotes proverbs AT people: lots of irritation, nobody gets blessed, a fight might start.

This morning, though, I read that the thorn is sticking in the hand of the heavy drinker, (aka drunkard).
This is something I know about, having been a drunkard as a young man. Over the course of some 20+ years of alcohol abuse, I’m sure I got thorns/splinters/fragments in my hand any number of times. “Beer and Building” was a thing for me back then, and ANYONE who works with lumber is going to get stuck. 
However, while I have a dim recollection of thorns/splinters/fragments as a hazard: 
  • I don’t recall any particular incident, and 
  • I cannot point to any of the various scars on my person, and say, “Ah, yes, I got that when making the cabinet.”

Which is, perhaps, the analogue of a proverb in the mouth of fools. 

We remember irritation as the dork yammering at us: 
  • Their words left no lasting memory, and 
  • Left no mark on our lives. 
That’s the OPPOSITE of a timely spoken word. 

So, that’s TWO possible interpretations of this verse, and they both work (for me, at least). Maybe, by the time I re-visit this verse, I’ll have new insight. We can hope.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Anyone who wants to quote scripture should meditate on the Word, pray for God to reveal the truth of His Word and be lead by the Holy Spirit. This will help one to get closer to understanding what the scripture means and how to apply it. When fools speak proverbs, they can injure themselves and others. By contrast, proverbs in the mouth of the wise can bring healing. Pastor Cleve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen my Brother Pat, thanks for sharing your testimony, before as a drunkard my Brother Pat. Thank God for changing your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023