Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 11-21-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, the girls went to DC, so the boys are hanging out.

The plans of the diligent certainly lead to advantage,
But everyone who is in a hurry certainly comes to poverty.

Proverbs 21:5, NASB



Watching cartoons in the 1950s left me with the idea that if I could just find the map with the ‘X’ marked on it, I could find the treasure, and I’d be RICH! Bugs and Mickey and Popeye were always discovering piles of gold and jewels. It seemed like the way to go, but I don’t think my best friend Butch and I ever found anything.

Around the age of 11 or 12, I read an ad in Boys’ Life Magazine about all the prizes I could win by selling greeting cards. Sounded GREAT to me, so I sent off for the cards, and went door to door in the neighborhood. My mom put a stop to that, after I tried selling cards to customers in the drug store. 

I didn’t win any prizes, just a nasty letter from the card company wanting their money or their cards.

It was shocking to discover all the adult analogues to the ads in Boys’ Life. There are a LOT of get rich/famous/skinny schemes out there, and I despise every one of them. The loss of money doesn’t bother me as much as the loss of innocence, when the prey realize they have been duped because they have been naïve. That type of poverty is worse.

TANSTAAFL: There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. 

Use this verse to teach your children that truth, and help fight poverty of the heart.  

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. It's such an easy trap to fall in. This time it'll be different, no it's not get rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word my Brother Pat, as it says the plans of the diligent certainly leads to advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word Pat! Patience and diligence are always the way to go. If we don't use them experience will be our teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023