Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, cold brew coffee with chocolate Boost.

My son, if your heart is wise,
My own heart also will be glad;
And my inmost being will rejoice
When your lips speak what is right.

Proverbs 23:15-16, NASB

Proud

I’m not sure if it’s possible for a son to know how much he can bless his father, until he becomes a father himself. And since those are the only two roles I have played, I have zero idea about the mother & daughter interaction; it IS the same with father/daughter, though.

Confession: had I read this passage as a teen, and possibly as a young adult, my response would likely have been:

“I don’t CARE if your heart is glad. In fact, I hope your heart ISN’T glad.”

Clearly, I had MAJOR issues I needed to address; and clearly, so did those who stood in the place of the father figure in my earlier life.

But this is NOT an attempt to lay blame; instead, I speak to the core of this passage. That is:

“I REALLY want you to do well; be fulfilled; be productive; live in peace and joy.”  

They may not be able to articulate it, and they may not live up to it, but every father has an obligation to provide his children with the tools they need to survive and prosper. Fathers aren’t entering their kids in a dog show, to demonstrate how many tricks they can do. Fathers are preparing their kids to face the challenges of life, and become more than conquerors. 

Fathers earnestly desire that their kids turn out better than they did; that’s what the verses mean. 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023