Tiny Devotional for Monday, 06-05-2023

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, my new cold-brew carafe is functional.

And you groan at your final end,
When your flesh and your body are consumed;
And you say, “How I have hated instruction!
And my heart spurned reproof!

Proverbs 5:11-12, NASB

This section of Proverbs is headed “Pitfalls of Immorality.” It’s about all the bad stuff that comes our way when we seek the illicit pleasures, instead of the servant pleasures.

My first thought is “Well, I dodged THAT bullet!”
I have the perspective of one who has been clean and sober for 35 years, AND is 70 years old with an array of health issues, so:
LOTS of stuff hurts! 
I remember my last hangover; add THAT misery to  the natural aging process? Nope! 

My second thought is “How awful to miss all of the GOOD stuff!” 
Yesterday, I got to sing “Be Thou My Vision,” which dates back to the 6th century. It was LOVELY to participate in 1500 years of worship! 
Then, in Small Group, I got to share my heart with other brothers and sisters, who shared theirs, and we encouraged each other, and THAT was lovely, too. 
To that, I’ll add that the joyful pleasures of married life, including but not limited to the physical,  FAR outweigh the club scene and all that implies.

And finally: yesterday, Hank (a co-grandparent) passed away. Vanessa and I both were able to offer support and consolation, because of the Rock on which we stand. Looks like Hank was standing on the Rock as well, and that gave his beloved daughter Franny something to look forward to. 

Until then...

Brothers and sisters, it’s worth it all!

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Amen my Brother Pat, it is all because we are all standing on that Solid Rock 'Jesus Christ '

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Amen and Amen my Brother Pat. On Christ the Solid Rock We Stand

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023