Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 06-03-2023

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Kenneth took his diploma to National Guard drill today.


So your barns will be filled with plenty
And your vats will overflow with new wine.

Proverbs 3:10, NASB

Yesterday, the verse was about what Wisdom saves us FROM; today, it’s about what Wisdom saves us TO.

This verse can be read as a bargain with God:
“I’m going to give to the Lord, because I’ll get back many times more!”
I’d be lying if I said I’d never heard THAT sermon preached, and I’d be lying if I said it had no appeal.
 
In the days when I was behind on the rent, and had to go to friends and relatives for help for groceries and medical expenses, it would have been GREAT if I could give $1 and get back $10. 

Problem one: that approach never seemed to work for me, or anyone else I knew personally. 

Problem two:  I usually didn’t have the $1. Ever have your tithe check bounce? I have.

The REAL problem: it’s focused on the wrong thing! Our goal is the kingdom of God, which is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Rom 14:17). 

Righteousness, peace and joy is what I received when I went to my church family asking for help. They provided for my material needs, not because I tried “$1 for $10” extortion, but because I had a need, and they had the means to meet that need.

The spiritual and the material are blended in the Kingdom: 

  • We have; we give; we grow.
  • We grow more; we have more; we give more. 
  • And He is glorified!

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. There is always blessing in giving and God the father is the best example when God gives His Son Jesus Christ to us. Praise God my Brother Pat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023