Tiny Devotional for Monday, 07-03-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, the big dog doesn’t bite.



My son, do not reject the discipline of the Lord
Or loathe His reproof,

Proverbs 3:11, NASB

Sigh. Any time I have to go to the Hebrew, I get a bit grumpy. It’s really because I feel presumptuous; I had one year of koine Greek, and ZERO years of Hebrew, whereas the translation team for the NASB all had at least one doctorate in Biblical languages. Still, this IS a devotional, and not a scholarly paper, so: I must dissent. A bit.

My peeve this morning is over the word ‘discipline.’ Now, the NASB does point out that ‘instruction’ is an alternate meaning; but when I look at how מוּסָר (mûsār) is translated in other places, it’s pretty clear to me that ‘instruction’ is the best choice.

Why does it make a difference?

For most of us, ‘discipline’ is most commonly associated with some aversive form of correction, and is functionally equivalent to, or greater than, ‘reproof.’  It can also apply to an entire field of knowledge, but that’s not applicable here.

I prefer ‘instruction,’ in part because it eliminates the ‘yuck’ factor of memories of the principal’s office, but mostly because it is consistent with the progression of the verse. ‘Reject’ is milder than ‘loathe,’ and ‘reproof’ only happens after ‘instruction’ is not followed.

Final note: We all start as learners; we ALL become teachers. Remember: the message is ALWAYS closely associated with the messenger! If you have ever had to re-learn a good message taught by a bad messenger, you understand that. 

Which is why you say to me: “Don’t write like a jerk, Papa Pat!”

 Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Messengers who come with bullet points are the worse Messengers. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is completely ignorant of Greek and Hebrew, I appreciate the insights! Over the centuries, many words have changed in their meaning or connotation. Going back to the original source and language, especially when paired with how the words are used in other places at the same time is a glimpse into the mind of the original authors (and perhaps the "original scribes" as well).
    Dissent away! And Thank You!
    BobD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before discipline, instruction must be clear and precise my Brother Pat. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023