Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 07-22-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, please tell the dogs to stop moving my fan.


Drive out the scoffer, and contention will go out,
Even strife and dishonor will cease.

Proverbs 22:10, NASB

I’ve developed a routine for writing these. I open the needful windows on the computer, drop the verse into the template, greet family members, and then I reflect: what does the verse stir up in me?

This morning, I remembered faces of notable scoffers from school days. I recall the day when Mrs. Collins put four of us out of her fourth grade classroom….

US?

Yes, I was one of the scoffers. Not just THAT day, either; it seems I spent most of that 1962-3 school year in trouble. 1966-1969 were also scoffer years.

What insights does THAT give me?

First: driving them out works. The scoffer’s payoff comes from two sources: entertaining peers, and aggravating authorities. Driving them out removes both sources.  

Second: gentle re-integration into the classroom is essential. Kids NEED an identity, and if ‘troublemaker’ is all that’s offered, they’ll take it. 

What about adult scoffers in the workplace?

I’ve supervised enough adults to know that sending them out to sit in the hall isn’t a viable solution. Neither is ignoring their scoffing. If you are a manager of scoffers, you MUST evaluate the contribution of their labor against the damage of their scoffing. It’s not easy, but it’s your job to take appropriate action.

If you have to work WITH or FOR a scoffer, watch and learn, because you’ll probably be a supervisor one day. 

Until then, make sure the scoffer isn’t YOU. 
If it is? 
Go sit in the hall.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Somebody needs to hear this. I'm just going to exit the room now🥴

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the bible says, drive out the scoffers and contention will go out. Scoffers bring hatred.
    Nice words my Brother Pat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023