Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 07-18-2023

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, don’t laugh at the cone on Piper’s head.

The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
The righteous runs into it and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10, NASB

There’s no way I’m going to be able to reach that tower in time. I’m still going to try, though.

“LORD” is capitalized to show that it is God’s name, and it cannot, MAY not be pronounced. In Hebrew, it’s יְהֹוָה  (I’m omitting the customary transliteration, on purpose, for emphasis). When it appeared in the text, the reader would substitute the word אֲדֹנָי ('ăḏōnāy) meaning ‘Lord.’ In 1520, an Italian monk combined the two words, and created the word ‘Jehovah;’ but that ISN’T God’s name; it’s just a scholar’s invention. Do NOT fret about this!

If His name is a tower, but I can’t pronounce His name, how can I get into the tower? 

Parents: did you wait until your child could pronounce your name before you provided care for them? 

Of course not! In fact, your name isn’t used much within your home. Instead, your heart thrills to be called Papa, Mama, Daddy, Mommy, or whatever term you use.

But: I still need to get into that tower! I know it’s not impossible, because it CLEARLY says the righteous run into it! But what about me? I mess up, so, I’m not righteous, am I? 

Actually: yes. I am. 

Jesus took care of that. 

He made us alive in Him; He forgave our transgressions; He has nailed to the cross the certificate of debt against us. (from Colossians 2)

That’s how Abba allows us into the tower, and keeps the enemy out.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Thank you, I needed this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very timely word. Thanks, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen my Brother Pat, good to read about it, plus some theological information about the name 'Jehovah'.
    Most of all, we thank God that He is our Strong Tower. Praise God my Brother Pat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023