Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-06-2023

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, it’s our 12th anniversary, so CALL FIRST!


My son, observe the commandment of your father
And do not forsake the teaching of your mother;
Bind them continually on your heart;
Tie them around your neck.
Proverbs 6:20-21, NASB

The instruction is symbolic, but you can purchase a mezuzah to tie around your neck. It’s a tiny scroll, inscribed with the Shema:

שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵינוּ יְהוָה אֶחָֽד׃‎ 
(Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Eḥad )
English translation:
Hear, O Israel, the LORD God, the LORD is One.

I’m a redneck Scottish Gentile, a wild olive branch grafted onto the cultivated olive tree. I get that; but something in me yearns to wear the mezuzah around my neck, nail one to my front doorpost, and put on a yarmulke, shawl, and phylacteries when I pray.

I’d also like to wear a kilt, toss a caber, and play the bagpipes.

I expect that God would be equally blessed by either, namely: not at all.

I need to remind myself that the practices and regalia were training wheels. They were tutors, to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. (Galatians 3:23ff) 
Training wheels are needful to prevent a fall, but they aren’t really a part of the ride. Faith on the other hand, pretty much IS the ride. It’s how we live, until it’s replaced by sight, when we are in His presence. Instead of preventing a fall, it preserves us through the fall; in doing so, we gain the confidence to live on, without fear. 

Can I still wear a mezuzah as a fashion choice, though?

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023