Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 09-12-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, the Cheerios weren’t enough.

He who tills his land will have plenty of bread,
But he who pursues worthless things lacks sense.
Proverbs 12:11, NASB

Oh, the promises they made! 

I can’t remember now how many of the advertisements in the back of Boys’ Life magazine I responded to before I realized I was NEVER going to get the massive rewards they listed. It seemed so simple: they sent me 12 boxes of greeting cards, I sold as many as I could, and then returned the unsold cards and the money, les my commission, and I’d become rich beyond my dreams!
Didn’t work out like that.
What it DID do, was change my perception. Those weren’t friends and family; they were CUSTOMERS! I didn’t want to play baseball, or eat pie with them; I wanted them to give me $3, and then let me go on to the next sale.
Yes, I did that, when I was 10. Perhaps the best thing it did was teach me not to believe all that I was told, if it was a part of a sales pitch. Of course, it took a LONG time for me to realize it applied to other things than magazine ads.

It is TRUE that there is money to be made in sales (and marketing). By now, though, there has been enough light shed on multi-level-marketing that anyone who investigates that ought to be able to access the cold facts.

The loss of innocence hurts, but that’s about the best possible outcome of pursuing worthless things. 

If it seems too good to be true, it probably ISN’T true.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Life eventually gets our attention and we learn, sometimes the hard way, that everything that glitters ain't gold🪙🦄

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is a great teacher but she kills all of her students" that certain cutlery company did make a decent knife.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023