Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 09-20-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Kenneth still hasn’t told me his flight number. (got it, now!)

It is by his deeds that a lad distinguishes himself
If his conduct is pure and right.
Proverbs 20:11, NASB

I think the sentence structure suffered in the translation, because I thought:

‘Well, how about all those lads without pure and right conduct? How do THEY distinguish themselves?’

But I don’t think that’s a response the writer was trying to get. I THINK what he was saying is better rendered as: 

‘Even when they are small, it’s their behavior that shows which kids have good character.’ 

Most of the English translations reflect that meaning. 

This is an EXCELLENT point to start making with your children when they are small, because it SEEMS to them that they are mostly known by their family. When adults greet children, it’s usually with some variation of “Aren’t you Amy and Bob’s son?”

At some point, they learn to introduce themselves, and usually, their introduction is 

“I’m Cody, Amy and Bob’s son.”

At least, that’s the way it was for me. In my case, though, I usually introduced myself as Bessie and Bill’s grandson, because EVERYBODY knew Bessie and Bill.

There is a great comfort in being a member of a family, but a great risk as well. What happens when the child ages out of the family introduction? First day at college, you don’t introduce yourself as Amy and Bob’s son, Cody. 

It’s a complex subject. However, this verse will give any child a head start, by teaching them they have the power to create their own, separate identity, just by the way they act. 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023