Tiny Devotional for 10-11-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, excellent cold-brew coffee!

When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices,
And when the wicked perish, there is joyful shouting.

Proverbs 11:10, NASB

The above statement is: TRUE

Here’s a logic problem for you:

If the city is rejoicing, and there is joyful shouting, that means the wicked have perished and it’s going well with the righteous.

That statement is: FALSE

First, there are many reasons for rejoicing and joyful shouting. 
Example: if the local baseball team wins the World Series, you’ll see LOTS of rejoicing and shouting. Is righteousness involved in that? The ONLY possible application I imagine is if the team members were committed to a righteous lifestyle that included a lot of batting practice and fielding drills. But honestly, the rejoicing is because of the win, not because of the righteousness.
This is a trivial example.

The second objection to the idea that celebration and righteousness are linked, is that not everyone in the world has the same standard for success. I think everyone knows this is true, but some applications are particularly painful. 
For example, this celebration scene:

They are rejoicing because the Twin Towers fell. 

Shocked? 

I was, at the time. More than that, I was ferociously angry; I wanted to smite them with my righteous rage.

Pretty much like they wanted to smite me. 

Here’s the deal: 

any time we take the judgment away from God, we put ourselves in the place of God, and that’s a sin. Are we confident that our values align with the Creator Father?

Best way I know:

Do justly.

Love Mercy.

Walk humbly with your God.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Well put, it's always important to be reminded to put our worries in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that wonderful statement my Brother Pat "Our values should align with Creator the Father. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023