Tiny Devotional for Monday, 10-09-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, the rice is ready.

Calling to those who pass by,
Who are making their paths straight:
Proverbs 9:15, NASB



Unless you are much more of a scholar than I am, here’s something you don’t know from this verse alone:
This verse concerns the Woman of Folly.

I think I have two things to say about that.

1. There are special temptations that are directed at the folks who are doing it right.  
I say that, because the writer explicitly states that she is calling out to those who are making their paths straight. I don’t think she would be wasting her time, if she didn’t hook the occasional righteous fish. 

2. It’s easy to be lead astray if you don’t look at context. “A text without a context is just a pretext;” that’s worth remembering. Here’s something else to consider: if the Bible discusses rules about bobsled riding 100 times, and rules about elk hunting 1 time, then it’s safe to regard bobsled riding as more important than elk hunting.

Now, having made point 2, I now will violate it in a minor way, with a ‘what-if’ or two.

What if the point being made is that the person who is seduced by her approach is the person who relies on self to get the straight path?

What if this verse is in contrast with Proverbs 3:5-6? “Trust in the Lord... and HE will direct your path?”

I’m not saying this is the case. However, I’m MUCH more likely to mess up if I’M the one trying to keep straight, instead of letting God do it.  Maybe think about it.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Great insight Pat! I’ll depend on the LORD to make my paths straight as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen my Brother Pat, it is surely God that will keep us straight in our paths. Let's always depend on God. Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you're getting at, amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "SELF", that there is always a woman of folly🦄

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023