Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 03-26-2024

  A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family who might drop by, bring your own food, and we will share!

As the door turns on its hinges,
So does the sluggard on his bed.
Proverbs 26:14, NASB



I don't know what mental image you have of this verse, but I see the front door of Frankenstein's castle, or another from that era. CR-EA-A-K! goes the door on it's hinges, as it swings slowly open. That's because I have been gifted with back pain, and after eight hours, it HURTS to get out of bed. My bones don't exactly make a creaking noise, but they feel like it, and they do go snap-crackle-pop. 

I don't think King Solomon had back pain in mind when he recorded this wise saying, Instead, I believe he was pointing out that just as the door doesn't leave the hinges, the sluggard doesn't leave his bed; he just turns over. 

A door on its hinges is actually filling a need: it keeps people out of your house. Maybe, if the sluggard had some coffee brewing, he'd smell that and want to get out of bed. Do you lose sluggard status if you get out of bed, only to sit in a chair? Probably not. To qualify as a non-sluggard, we have to DO something: cut the grass; go to work; clean the house. But what if, because of bad back or other reasons, you don't have those options? 

Well, can you write a letter? 

Think for just a moment, and I'll bet you can come up with the names of a dozen people who would like to hear from you today. 

Make today special for someone you care about; it's always a possibility!

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. I love this. There are so many people who will be blessed and encouraged when the read this Pastor Wordsmith. Signed I am truly your🦄

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you do everything right, the hardest part of the day is getting out of bed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, to qualify a non sluggard we have to do something. Nice word my Brother Pat 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023