Tiny Devotional for Thursday, 04-11-2024

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family who might drop by, good luck, you are welcome to whatever.

He who despises his neighbor lacks sense,
But a man of understanding keeps silent.

Proverbs 11:12, NASB

Gardening for Health

A lifetime ago, I lived in a tiny town (pop 4000) in rural Georgia. My two across-the-street neighbors were grandmotherly types, called by my young son Miz Yopp and Beekie. They did NOT get along with each other! I sang in the choir with Beekie's daughter, and I asked her if she knew the history there. She told me that a long time ago, Beekie had a small dog, and the small dog had gone to the bathroom in Miz Yopp's yard. I needed no further information, since I understood that for some large percentage of elderly Southern widows, their yard and gardens were an expression of themselves. So, as far as Miz Yopp was concerned, Beekie's dog had urinated on her shoes, not on her lawn. So, for decades after that, these two sweet ladies lived in a state of enmity; as far as I know, that lasted until Beekie passed some years after I moved away. 

In an ideal situation, the small dog problem could have been resolved, but whatever words were exchanged did NOT solve the problem. Sometimes it's like that. Here Solomon offers us an alternative to a long, hostile relationship: keep silent. But note: it takes a person of understanding to do that.

If we are offended by another, before we declare a state of war, consider:

Is the offense intentional?

Is it easily remedied by the offender?

Does YOU have a solution for the problem?

Or are you better off keeping silent?

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Every problem can be resolved if we just be considerate and calm. Whenever there is differences and problem arises, a sincere talk with respect to each other can help. Praise God my Brother Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest bits of advice I heard was "Does this NEED to be said". I do believe that information has helped me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023