Tiny Devotional for Friday, 10/09/2020

 A great good October morning to you, friends and neighbors out there in Internet Land! And, to those family members who found yourself here, Kenneth overslept this morning; that’s my boy!

I selected these verses because of aggravation. That doesn’t mean the message is wrong.

Wisdom speaks:
5. “Come, eat of my food
And drink of the wine I have mixed.
6. “Forsake your folly and live,
And proceed in the way of understanding.”
7. He who corrects a scoffer gets dishonor for himself,
And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself.
Proverbs 9: 5-7, NASB

Y'all come on in and get yourself something to eat!

For purposes of transparency: in the translation I use, verses 5 & 6 are formatted as a verbatim statement by Wisdom; verse 7 is not. Tiny Devotions don’t include exhaustive textual studies, so I’m abandoning that issue right there.

All alcoholic beverages were forbidden in the  church tradition I was raised in. Christians didn’t drink; if you drank, you weren’t a Christian (not a good one, anyway). Even as an adult, I heard sermons deny that the mixed wine Wisdom serves had any alcohol in it; that the water that Jesus turned into wine was anything but grape juice. 

Wrong.

I don’t drink. I abused that privilege as a young man, so the next taste I have of the cup will be at the marriage supper of the Lamb. But, that is PERSONAL, and not GLOBAL.

This is NOT me telling you to drink!

This IS me telling you to guard yourself against anyone who twists the meaning of Scripture, in an attempt to control your behavior.  They aren’t seeking your bests interests. 

At one point, I tried speaking this word to anti-alcohol people directly. Result? Verse 7! 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Terri Gillespie has an excellent perspective on the TOTALITY of the feast wisdom prepares for us, not just the one aspect I locked onto. You can read her post here: https://authorterrigillespie.com/wisdoms-journey-proverbs-91-2/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023