Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 10/11/2020

A great GOOD MORNING to all my friends and neighbors out there in Internet Land! And to any family members who have stumbled upon this post, join us for on-line worship at Liberty Church!

A false balance is an abomination to the Lord,
But a just weight is His delight. 
Proverbs 11:1, NASB

For years, whenever I read this, I thought of it as addressing economic transactions. “That’s cool,” I thought. “God is against those people who try to rip others off.”

I was all in favor of smacking the hucksters and con artists upside the head. Maybe I still am. Just yesterday, I found I needed to explain a bait-and-switch ad brochure to Alicia Ann, who thought she had won us a 55 inch TV.

Some years back, though, I learned a deeper meaning to this proverb. Maybe it applies to you?

I was about to make a major change in my life.  It wasn’t impulsive; I had been stuck in unpleasant circumstances for three years, ATTEMPTING to fix the unfixable. It didn’t work.

I was concerned that some people might disapprove of my decision to change, that they might disapprove of ME for making it. So, I sought counsel:

(Condensed version)

COUNSEL: “If someone came to you in the same circumstances, would you agree they needed to make a change?”

ME: “Well, yes.”

COUNSEL: “Then you are judging yourself more harshly than you judge others. That’s using a false balance, and that’s an abomination to the Lord.

You need to repent.”

Gulp. I repented. 

I knew that it was wrong if I judged others more harshly than I judged myself, but not the other way around. 

Something to think about.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023