Tiny Devotional for Monday, 11/23/2020

A great good morning to my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped in, thanks for teaching me to mind my own business.

Give me your heart, my son,
And let your eyes delight in my ways.

Proverbs 23:26, NASB
A First-born Son and His First-Born Son

 All of Proverbs 23 may be regarded as parental advice. In at least TEN verses, that’s made explicit by talking about fathers, mothers, and children.

It’s GOOD advice! (Take as directed; do not exceed dosage, etc.)

I LOVE verse 26 the best. I actually blogged on it, 2771 days ago. 

The reason for my affection comes from one of the WORST, but well-intentioned, phrases I heard as a child. Are you ready for this?

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

I would give much to be able to sit down and have an adult conversation with my father and step-father (separately, of course) about this phrase, and about another that is possibly related:

“I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did.”

I don’t think the second phrase is nearly as poisonous as the first; but, context matters. 

Also, I JUST asked my three biologically-related adult children if I ever said either of those things to them; results may appear in the COMMENTS section.

The verse is directed toward the son, but it truly speaks to the father

We MUST not be stupid in our attitudes and behavior. You can’t fool a dog with courteous words, if you are brandishing a stick; and, at some indeterminate age, kids reach dog-level awareness.

Give me your heart, my son. I promise I will care for it.

Let your eyes delight in my ways, because I have tested them by God’s standard.


Peace be on your household.


Comments

  1. I have the responses back from my three biologically-related adult children.
    Statement 1 (the toxic one): All three agree that they never heard me say "Do what I say, not what I do." Whew! That's a relief!
    Statement 2 (which, depending on context, is not necessarily toxic): All three agree that they DID hear this from me, in some form; might have been "learn from my mistakes."
    My firstborn son, the retired Army sergeant, added some other commentary about oft-heard phrases.
    BEGIN REPORT::
    NO "Do as I say not as I do"?

    Nothing resonates in that phrasing although my siblings may be more reliable in memory recall than I am for this phrase. "Because I said so?" Yes. Millions of times.

    YES "I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did."

    "Break the curse", "Next right thing", "If it isn't broken, poking through the skin or bleeding uncontrollably, you stay outside", etc. are also in this category of frequently used.

    ::END REPORT

    I cannot materially disagree with anything he said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023