Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 10-06-2020

A great good morning to my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped in, we’ve got pinto beans.

My son, if you have become a guarantor for your neighbor,
Or have given a handshake for a stranger, 
Proverbs 6:1, NASB

For a long time, I didn’t enjoy reading Proverbs 1-9. I thought, “These just say that wisdom is good, over and over. I want Proverbs 10!”
How wrong I was!  While I did recognize a FEW bits of wisdom (Proverbs 3:5-6 for example), I couldn’t wait to get to chapter 10. How much life-giving wisdom did I miss?

For example,  Pr 6:1. It’s every bit as practical as any of the jewels in the latter two-thirds of Proverbs. 
“If you have been” is a formal set-up for a corrective action. The sense of it is almost  “Don’t do this! OOPS! You already did it!”
The corrective action is described in my post of October 6.

Moral 1: Papa Pat, there is a reason these first nine chapters are here. Why are you just realizing that now? (and what ELSE have you missed?)

Moral 2: Don’t put your family and yourself at risk to help someone with little or no investment in your well-being. By virtue of hard work and good management, you have accumulated some wealth. Now YOU can help OTHERS out; that’s GOOD! But don’t risk anything you can’t afford to lose.

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS IN NEED, 
THAT DOESN’T MEAN YOU SHOULD  “FIX” IT! 

Seek wisdom; your “help” might cripple them!

ALSO: If you have a surplus (not tithe money!), feel free to give (or not) to the people who ask for help in the WalMart parking lot. God knows their truth; we don’t have to.


Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Even if we can't fix stuff we can encourage, text, and check on folks. That is big mojo! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember times when I got a word at the right moment. Much rather have that; and, I still have the memory of the love that was extended to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023