Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 12-01-2020

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped in, I forgot what I was going to tell you.


The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel:
Proverbs 1:1, NASB
Smart queens dig wisdom.

Some time ago, just for a lark, I asked fellow regulars at a SF/fantasy-themed Internet diner to give me examples of some of their favorite first lines from books.  
The responses were GREAT! I might have to go back and look that up, just to get some more smiles. If I do, I’ll include some of the responses in the COMMENTS section.

First lines are IMPORTANT, and not something to be wasted. And that’s why I chose this verse for today’s Tiny Devotional.
Now, I’d LIKE to get fancy here, and tell you of some profound meaning I discovered in the Septuagint, or how the word order lends blah blah to the sitz im leben. But that’s bogus. The first line is clear: what it is, who wrote it, and why that’s important.

What it is: It’s wisdom, not data.  It doesn’t describe a snow flake; it uses snow to make a point about people. The book is about connections, between people, and their surroundings, and with God.

Who wrote it: Solomon. That’s also part of the answer to the next question, because even apart from this book, Solomon was known for wisdom.

Why it’s important: Solomon was the son of David, beloved of God, a king who stamped his heart on a nation so strongly that it lasted (approximately) 1000 years, was dispersed and persecuted for (approximately) 1900 years, then was re-established 72 years ago (May 14, 1948). 

Impressive credentials in that first verse, right?

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for RED Friday, 05-10-2024: Remember Everyone Deployed

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 05-15-2024

Tiny Devotional for Monday, 05-13-2024