Tiny Devotional for Monday, 01-04-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, send pictures to Allison.

LISTEN, my sons, TO the INSTRUCTION of a FATHER,
And PAY ATTENTION so that you may gain understanding,
Proverbs 4:1, NASB

PAY ATTENTION!

The educational system that we know today isn’t even 100 years old; at least not in the Great State of Georgia. I know this, because my maternal grandparents both taught in one-room schools. Bill Paulette, DOB 08-03-1899, and Bessie Anderson Paulette, DOB 11-30-1902, went on to do other things, but rural one-room schools like that described in “Tom Sawyer” were part of their employment history.

PAY ATTENTION!

Bessie told me that some of the oldest boys were bigger than her, but she made them behave. Bill was a veteran of WWI, AND a survivor of the Spanish Flu Epidemic, so no shrinking violet himself.
On August 21, 1931, when my mother was 3, they moved to their last house on Edna Place, in Macon-Bibb County, which had a good school system, and that’s where she and younger brother Bill Andy attended. (Bill Andy was born the night they moved in!)
The house in Macon
1951

PAY ATTENTION!

My mother got good results from the new, modern schools; my uncle, not so much. He told me his plan was to teach 8th grade, because he had taken it so many times.(He was SMART, though!)

Bill Andy
1946
Senior Year in the 8th Grade

I made it all the way to the 10th grade, before I had to repeat; 8th grade was CLOSE, though. (I was smart, too!)

PAY ATTENTION!

  1. One kind of education doesn’t fit everybody.
  2. What parents teach is more important than what schools teach.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 05-08-2024

Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 05-04-2024

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 08-09-2024