Tiny Devotional for Monday, 02-08-2021

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, it’s Monday again.

To you, people, I call,
And my voice is to mankind.
You naïve ones, understand prudence;
And, you fools, understand wisdom!
Listen, for I will speak noble things;
And the opening of my lips will reveal right things.
Proverbs 8:4-6, NASB

We are still in a pandemic; half the country seems to be still muttering about the election;  the only news I have seen is that the military is being scrutinized for extremists; Wisdom is still shouting to gain our attention.

Hoyt Axton wrote “Snowblind” about a friend lost to drug addiction:

“He said he wanted heaven, but praying was too slow;
So he bought a one-way ticket on an airline made of snow.”

How do you find heaven?

In 1970, when Steppenwolf covered the song, I was a high school senior. I couldn’t see that the future being prescribed for me (college, to prepare for a career, to fund a suburban family) warranted years of devotion and hard work.
I became one of those snowblind friends, going after the icing, because I didn’t believe there was any cake. Our motto: If it feels good, do it. Our words called for love and peace; our bodies accepted sex and sedation.  
It didn’t work; my choices lead to nothingness. (I took the easy way out: I joined the Army.)

Wisdom cries out on the street; but needs not stay there. Take Wisdom home! It produces love, acceptance, and guidance, and that gives our children their first taste of God’s love. Give them that taste, and they won’t ever be satisfied with anything else. They will always long for home.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023