Tiny Devotional for Monday, 11-29-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, it’s BACK TO SCHOOL DAY!!!!

A man who flatters his neighbor
Is spreading a net for his steps.

Proverbs 29:5, NASB

You look lovely today, Mrs. Cleaver!

It appears the Almighty doesn’t care for flattery. 

Why? Isn’t flattering someone just paying them a compliment? And isn’t that a good thing?

Well, no; that’s not what flattery is. Yes, it’s paying a compliment, but it’s not JUST paying a compliment. It’s paying a compliment to win trust, with the specific intent to violate that trust. 

It’s deceit + malice.

The flattery doesn’t always sound like Eddie Haskell. For example:

  • I’ve been flattered by scam emails that addressed me as “Dear Christian Brother;” I got one that informs me I’m to receive three million dollars because of my righteous reputation! 
  • Lately, I’ve been praised for my wisdom and courage in getting aboard with the latest crypto-currency offering. 
  • And, I just looked at my spam folder: my, my. There are 10(!) different girls wanting to meet me for carnal purposes, just in the last 50 emails my spam filter kicked out. 

How...flattering.

I guess the girls haven’t heard how righteous I am. I could use some of the three million dollars to tell them, I suppose.

In defense of Eddie Haskell, he never tried to take advantage of June Cleaver; he was just attempting to hide his wise-cracking nature from her.  It didn’t work; she always knew he was a harmless weasel. She understood boys, and knew Eddie’s ‘courtesy’ was too good to be true.

Remember June Cleaver's wisdom, when the flattery starts: if it sounds too good to be true, it isn’t true.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Do I have to vacuum in high heels, though? Cuz I don't wanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So right my Brother Pat, if it sounds to good to be true, it isn't true and that's flattery starts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023