Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 09-18-2022

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, we have hot coffee, cold brew coffee, or Mexican chocolate.

The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels,
And they go down into the innermost parts of the body.
Proverbs 18:8, NASB

Confused Student

I don’t know what this verse means, and that’s a good thing: 
It means I have to wrestle to find something I KNOW is there, even though I can’t see it.

When I first started writing Tiny Devotionals, I picked a verse from the proverb of the day that spoke to me, and wrote about it. After a few months, I realized: I could easily use my choices to REINFORCE my beliefs, instead of allowing the proverbs to FORM my beliefs. That’s when I started going sequentially, and today, I write on the 8th verse, because last time, I wrote on the 7th verse.

This does require that I trust the content of the Book of Proverbs more than I trust my own judgment, and frankly, Best Beloved, that’s a pretty easy decision. 

STEP ONE: I realize I don’t know. Actually, it’s a good step for MANY situations.

STEP TWO: Look it up. I started with ‘whisperer,’ because it’s an uncommon word; next, I researched  ‘innermost parts,’ because it’s clunky. ’Whisperer’ means ‘tattletale,’ and ‘innermost parts’ is ‘guts’ or ‘womb.’ 

STEP THREE: Apply context. Well, ‘womb’ doesn’t fit; but, does the Bible REALLY discuss guts? Jesus did, when talking about what truly defiles us (Mark7:19).

Please feel free to correct me, but I understand this verse to say: “Juicy gossip belongs in the septic tank.”
It’s not very spiritual sounding; neither is ‘abstain from fornication.’ They’re both intensely practical, though.


Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023