Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 05-31-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, I had the drier replaced.

Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.

Proverbs 31:9, NASB

Before the celebration of the Righteous Woman, King Lemuel’s mama had some advice for him about ruling, concluding with this verse. 
Makes me wonder if he was hopping around like a lion cub singing “I Just Can’t Wait to be King!”

Why be concerned about rules for kings? The only King I know is my little friend in Bogo City. He’s a toddler, and while he DOES have rules, his mother, father, and Big Brilliant Blessed Beautiful sisters Kech and Kehr establish his boundaries, not the rules. 
(Anyone with a big sister can testify to this!)

King and the Beautiful Ladies

Here’s what occurs to me: if we know the rules for leaders, we have a means for assessing how our leaders are doing. If they fail to ‘Rule by The Rules,’ then we get to vote the rascals out! Hooray for AMERICA!

It doesn’t seem to leave any room for complacency, though. If we allow rascals to stay in office, or if we elect known rascals, then we share responsibility for trampling on the rights of the afflicted and needy. What happens then?

“Woe to you!”

That’s what happens. I count over 30 occurrences of that phrase (both OT & NT), and NONE of them are directed at rulers. So, complacency is right out.

I am NOT a political expert, and don’t care to try to become one. Fortunately, it seems that all I need to know is this: how are the rights of the afflicted and needy being treated? 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023