Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-27-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, today is yesterday.

Do not forsake your own friend or your father’s friend,
And do not go to your brother’s house in the day of your calamity;
Better is a neighbor who is near than a brother far away.

Proverbs 27:10, NASB

There are some who know a million people casually, and some who know four or five people in depth. Of the two, I lean toward knowing a few in depth.
Those are the people I’d call if my car broke down in the middle of the night.
Sometimes, you don’t have the option: this just happens to be the weekend that Angus and family are visiting his grandmother in Missouri; Bartholomew is sitting for his oral exam in Connecticut; and Clancy had the boom lowered on him, and is in the hospital.
What’s you plan now?

Hopefully, you are at peace with your neighbor. If that’s true, then they are more likely to come to your aid. Who knows? Maybe your need will open the door to have the casual relationship become something deeper.

I’m not sure what we are to do about the “father’s friend” part of this verse, because I don’t know whether my father OR my step-father had any friends. Both worked a long way from where we lived, so office relationships tended not to carry over into things like backyard cookouts.

I have to ask myself: do my kids know who MY friends are? Do my friends kids know me?

Like most things, this is easier to build than it is to repair. So, try to make those contacts BEFORE the crisis hits. 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. A good one Pat! And just like you and Vanessa, your kids could surely call on us in distress. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023