Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 08-16-2023

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, a nap could happen at any time.

The mind of man plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.
Proverbs 16:9, NASB

Admittedly, I’m long out of the rat race. Thus, my perspective MIGHT be skewed; on the other hand, it’s more likely that I finally truly HAVE perspective.

Remember when Jesus visited Mary and Martha, and Martha was distracted with much preparation? Bless her heart, she had company, and that company was Jesus, and there was NO WAY that people were going to gossip about how Jesus visited her, and she served Him a measly sandwich. 
I think Jesus got it, though. I’m guessing that He recognized that in all her scurrying about, she was just as intent on showing her devotion to Him as Mary was.

But, in the end, Martha’s story brings us this WONDERFUL bit of liberating wisdom:

“you are worried and bothered about so many things;  but only one thing is necessary”

Luke 10:41b-42a, NASB

Martha’s mind planned her way, involving many things; but, the Lord directed her steps to ONE THING. I’m sure He gratefully ate the sandwich, too; but, He directed Martha to KNOW HIM!

I’ve made a LOT of mistakes in my life. There was a time when I beat myself up every day, because I had blown opportunities.
I thought my failures mattered! 
I was wrong; my failures NEVER mattered, and neither did my successes, compared to KNOWING HIM. They were always just a minor detail, like the kind of bread on the sandwich Martha made.

KNOW HIM; that’s all that’s necessary. 
I can make you a sandwich if you’re hungry.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Love this focus on knowing Him - it is our most important focus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can learn a lot from the story of Mary and Martha. At the end as what the bible says "One thing is needful and Mary hath chosen it. Yes Know Him, that's all that necessary. Amen my Brother Pat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023