Tiny Devotional for RED Friday, 09-01-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Remember Everyone Deployed!

My son, if sinners entice you,
Do not consent.

Proverbs 1:10, NASB

When my firstborn was a lad, we read the Proverb for the Day as a part of our daily devotional. After a few months, I discovered I was NOT looking forward to the first of the month, because it meant we’d be going back to Proverbs 1, and I wasn’t fond of the first 9 chapters. I thought they were mostly too bland.

As I started the Tiny Devotionals, some distaste remained. That changed over time, and I think the difference is that I’m dealing with just one verse at a time, instead of three. I’ve just reviewed my Proverbs 1 posts, and I’m amazed at how significant those verses are!

Now, NO advice is perfect; even if the advice is true, if the recipient doesn’t put it into play, then it’s wasted, maybe. I’ll take that risk, and offer this:

If you don’t want your kid to be enticed by what the sinners offer, you’d BETTER have demonstrated the enticements that righteousness offers.

At age 15 and up, probably earlier, when I received this advice, what I heard was:

Don’t have any fun.

Or even

I already had my fun, but you don’t get to have any.

Question: WHY? That’s an absolutely STUPID reaction to perfectly reasonable advice! Why did my adolescent brain give it such a twist?

Answer:  I had not been presented with a REASONABLE alternative. I didn’t even get a participation trophy for avoiding enticements!

This weekend, unless some crisis intervenes, give your family a reasonable alternative. Play a game, make something. Whatever! 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023