Tiny Devotional for Saturday, 12-05-2020

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors out there in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Happy Repeal Day!

My son, pay attention to my wisdom,
Incline your ear to my understanding,
So that you may maintain discretion
And your lips may comply with knowledge.
Proverbs 5:1-2, NASB


The saying is addressed to the son, but I think the basic admonition is to the father. 
The words are plain: the father is setting himself before his son as an example. 
You have to be pretty confident to do that. 

This says to me: father, have your act together. Don’t think you can get away with anything; little eyes are on you constantly. Your children have no more powerful influence than you.
This is a STRONG word! It means I had better be pretty careful how I act, and how I respond to the acts of others; and I had BETTER not act in a way I don’t want to see my kids act. 

Our society is no longer polite. Politicians speak horrible things about each other; we had rioting in the streets this summer; keyboard warriors call people names, and boast of what they are going to do. 
Robert A. Heinlein wrote:
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”  
I love Heinlein’s work, but I think this is more accurate:
“A society in which fathers set a good example for their children is a polite society.” 

We are to set an example for our children, so that their lips comply with knowledge, and they maintain discretion. That extends FAR past being polite! However, politeness is a part of it.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. amen. Good word, bro. I wish I had known how much they really do what they are taught day after day for years by watching us. Hard lessons for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, WE were only doing what WE had been taught.
      But we learned to hunger for something else.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023