Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 10-31-2021

 A great good afternoon to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Tre, Nyle, and Divine are here for a visit.

Open your mouth for the people who cannot speak,
For the rights of all the unfortunate.

Proverbs 31:8, NASB


I think the primary message of Proverbs, maybe the entire Bible, is contained in this verse.

When I was a little boy, I thought the primary message was 

“Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so.” 

Not everybody thought that; the girl across the street said the message was that God could strike me dead. She was emphatic.

From classes at church, I understood the primary message to be 

  • God started it; 
  • We messed it up; 
  • He sent us some miracles; 
  • Jesus was the way; 
  • Be good or go to Hell. 

That’s condensed, but I don’t THINK I’m leaving anything out.

Today, I think the great message of the Book of Proverbs, and the core of ALL of the Bible is this:

 There are people worse off than you; help them.

One year ago tomorrow, I bought a copy of “Oneness Embraced,” by Tony Evans. That began a series of intense studies, combined with intense self-examination. Just a few moments of reflection, and I find at least FOUR major areas in which my beliefs and behavior changed, as a result.

Want to see the list? Well, it’s changing, because I’m still learning and growing. (In fact, to document the changes, I wrote the four areas down; it’s up to six areas already.)

Here’s a hint, though. All areas are covered by

 There are people worse off than you; help them.

I’m looking forward to see what happens next.

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing.

    Cursed be anyone who perverts the justice due to the sojourner, the fatherless, and the widow.’ And all the people shall say, ‘Amen.’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right my Brother Pat. This is a bible lesson as it says, "There are people worse of than you, help them." Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The link to Tony Evans' book is an Amazon Associates link. That means if you click on that link and buy the book, I get a few cents for referring you. Actually, if you click on the link and buy anything, I still get a small cut. It won't increase your cost, though.
    I HIGHLY recommend the book, whether you buy or borrow it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023