Tiny Devotional for Thursday, 11-11-2021

A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, don’t leave without saying “BYE, PAPA!” (Alicia Ann, I’m looking at YOU!).

The righteousness of the blameless will smooth his way,
But the wicked will fall by his own wickedness.

Proverbs 11:5, NASB

Smooth Water

It’s Veterans Day, so: 
Welcome back!

I’ve never been a cop, or lawyer, nor a judge. I guarded a door once. That does NOT make me an authority on how to conduct criminal investigations, no matter how many cop shows I’ve watched.

However, I was a middle school counselor for 16+ years. Somehow, that got me involved in a LOT of investigations: What happened? Who said what, who did what? 

These weren’t criminals, you understand; just 12-14 year-old boys and girls. Sometimes, they behaved foolishly; most of the time, they just behaved.

Toward the end of my career, a young man was identified as possibly being the person who maliciously damaged some school property. I was assigned to take statements, which included interviewing him in my office. 

It terrified him to be under suspicion.

I discovered that there really was nothing that pointed to him as the culprit, and that would have ended it; but, he was still terrified. It calmed him somewhat when I told him he had EARNED my belief, by his years of exemplary behavior; that no suspicion existed. 

Actually, telling him that was one of the high spots of my career.

Alas, this wasn’t true for every student. It took me a year or so before I was able to come to terms with the fact that some of these kids would LIE to me! 

I’m not sure this story has a point. 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your service Pat Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. HODOR! Some jobs are the same in uniform and out. Serving others is where I see the most value - not the title, visibility or recognition.

    And I believe you also managed to save a man’s life in Germany whilst standing watch at/around the aforementioned door, counselor. Smooth road or no, that’s a righteous claim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was studying in my high school years my Brother Pat, in my 4th year, I was also one of the peer counselor in highschool. Seeing those schoolmates of mine doing some stuff in school that is not good as a student, but at least we try to counsel them.
    Happy Veterans Day my Brother Pat! Best regards here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 05-23-2023

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023