Tiny Devotional for Tuesday, 06-13-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, we ate all the potatoes, but we have rice.

A righteous man hates falsehood,
But a wicked man acts disgustingly and shamefully.

Proverbs 13:6, NASB

In my years as a counselor, I ran A LOT of support groups. At the end of some particularly intense sessions, I’d start to close by asking :
“Is there anything else we need to KNOW, SAY, DO, or BE?”
Rationale: those are all different ways of participating in change.

That’s addressed in today’s wisdom:

To BE righteous, we KNOW and SAY truth. 

To BE wicked, we DO disgusting and shameful things.

Why isn’t what the wicked KNOWS a part of this verse? Aside from requirements of poetic forms, it’s because what they KNOW doesn’t matter, in light of what they DO. 

Have you ever corrected a subordinate (or a child), and they kept telling you “I know, I know” as you described the problem? 
Aggravating, isn’t it? 
Again, what they KNOW doesn’t matter, in light of what they DO. 

By the way: ‘hating falsehood’ isn’t an excuse for hating people, and when taken to extremes, will ALSO lead to a bad outcome. This ALWAYS applies: 

He hath shown thee, O man, what is good: and what doth the Lord require of thee but to do justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Micah 6:8, 21st Century King James Version

Today, I am forced to ask myself: 

Is what I DO consistent with what I KNOW?

I’ve got diplomas on the wall, and books on the shelves, and I doubt that’s going to be mentioned in my Final Evaluation. 

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Amen my Brother Pat, To be righteous we know and say the TRUTH, to be wicked we do things which are disgusting, but sad to say partly the wicked knows but they do not act by what they know.
    It is always be the FEAR OF GOD is the beginning of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023