Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 07-26-2023

 A great good morning to all my friends and neighbors in Internet Land! And to family members who have dropped by, Vanessa is cutting the grass.

Do you see a man wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.
Proverbs 26:12, NASB

I have been wise in my own eyes, perhaps as recently as forty-five years ago. In my case, it wasn’t because I was stupid, and it wasn’t because I was deceived. 
It was because I had discovered a tiny bit of truth, and thought that was all the truth in the world; or, at least, all the truth needed for survival, prosperity, and fame (which was INEVITABLE), because:
I had THE hammer! 

As long as I thought I was getting the job done, I didn’t need any more hammers, and certainly not any other tools! Don’t tell me about what God is doing in YOUR heart, because I want to tell you about my hammer!

That’s what being wise in my own eyes did to me, and I suspect it has a similar impact on others. 
It wasn’t until I was abjectly miserable, and my hammer wasn’t helping AT ALL, that I began to realize my hammer wasn’t enough. I started on the long road to wisdom.

I say: Knowing things isn’t wisdom, and neither is applying things you know. (Feel free to disagree.)

I think wisdom is found in knowing (and living) a FEW things, while also being humbled by what you don’t know.  

The few things: 

  • Do justice. 
  • Love mercy. 
  • Walk humbly with your God.

What you don’t know: 

  • Almost everything else, but...
  • That’s WONDERFUL! 
  • You have an eternity of learning ahead, from the best teacher, and with the best classmates.  

Peace be on your household.

Comments

  1. Amen my Brother Pat.
    The Wisdom from above is the best. Praise God my Brother Pat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tiny Devotional for Wednesday, 06-21-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 08-20-2023

Tiny Devotional for Sunday, 07-23-2023